The Cape Agulhas Lighthouse is situated at Cape Agulhas, the southernmost tip of Africa. It was the third lighthouse to be built in South Africa, and the second-oldest still operating, after Green Point.
Built in 1847 by the government of the Cape Colony and was originally fuelled by the tail-fat of sheep, but in 1905 an oil-burning lantern was installed. In March 1910 the lens was replaced with a first-order Fresnel lens. In 1929 the oil burner was replaced by a petroleum vapour burner, which was in turn replaced in 1936 by a four-kilowatt electric lamp powered by a diesel generator.
In 1968 the lighthouse was taken out of service due to excessive weathering. The building was declared a national monument in 1973 and is also a Western Cape provincial heritage site. The lighthouse has recently undergone restoration and is a majestic sight at the tip of South Africa.